I have been in the recruiting industry long enough to know there are some people I just can’t help. Why? They aren’t willing to help themselves. Qualifications have nothing to do with it. I know they could do anything they want. The truth is, that deep down they don’t want to make a change.
I call these people “Paralyzed Candidates”. I am not talking about physical capabilities. People get comfortable and are scared to make a change. I get it. You can clock in and clock out and you know what to expect every day. You have a salary that you are comfortable with, and you know when you are going to take time off for your vacation every year.
This being said, somewhere deep inside, you are discontent. You are discontent with the direction of the company, the management, the salary, and your coworkers. You don’t feel challenged anymore. How do I know you are not happy? I’ll tell you why. I hear it from you all the time! It could be quarterly, yearly, weekly or daily, but I know you are miserable.
My advice to the Paralyzed Candidate. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! If it doesn’t work out, at least you can say you gave it a try. You can always go back if you stay on good terms or look for something else.
Here are 10 Things You are missing if you are the Paralyzed Candidate:
- Happiness. Say it with me. Happiness! Can you say you love your job? I honestly can say I do. Is your job consuming your daily thoughts where you dread waking up in the morning? C’mon. Life is too short, snap out of it, there is grass greener on the other side. I promise! I’d love to see a smile on your face. I’m pulling for you!
- Challenges. For the first time in a long time, you will be tested. Things may not be easy, but that isn’t a bad thing. Aren’t you sick of the TPS reports?
- Meeting new people. Your network will be expanded and you will be exposed to different ideas and views that you haven’t thought of if you stayed with your current company.
- Learning new Technologies. In today’s world you will be a dinosour if you don’t learn a new software and expand your technical expertise.
- Potentially more money. Have you hit the glass ceiling with your current organization? Someone out there could use your skills that you aren’t being recognized for doing.
- Career advancement. People get stuck! Are you at a company where you simply can’t move at all? You signed on with a company that offered absolutely no movement. Your manager has been in the same role for 30 years and he/she isn’t leaving anytime soon. So why again are you staying at this place?!
- Better Hours. Are you working 3rd shift or weekends. Sounds miserable to me. I sold houses for years on the weekends and had no life. Do you travel 7 days a week? Want your life back? Take control.
- Shorter Commute. Do you spend hours in your car commuting. Is it affecting your family life. No reason to spend half your life in a car.
- Better work life balance. Do you know some companies offer a flexible workforce, even telecommuting? Yes- it is new and more companies are offering it than not. It is terrific!
- You could be a part of the next best thing. There are some companies out there with some really great ideas. They could change the future. Would you like to be a part of the team that started Facebook or Twitter? The next great idea is around the corner and you could be a part of it!
If you fall into the category of a “paralyzed candidate”, I challenge you. If you have evaluated all of your options and come to the conclusion that the company you work for is not fulfilling you, stop complaining and do something about it. You will be a different person. The above advice is something you already know and have known. Hopefully I have helped you get out of your “Career Wheelchair”. Good luck!